ASA Professional Pilot
John Lowery's popular title Professional Pilot provides real-world application of knowledge based on the veteran aviator's vast experience. Ride alongside as he imparts insightful tips, stories, case histories, facts and myth-busting that will change how you operate as PIC.
Professional Pilot is about decision making. Far from your typical textbook on aerodynamics and systems, this book takes you right up front to learn from a master turbine pilot who’s been there. The author infuses 50 years of experience as a corporate pilot and pilot examiner into fluid discussions that probe the details all career aviators must understand. Pilots will achieve a new level of understanding about day-to-day, real-world flying and gain a full indoctrination into the topics that matter when flying heavy, high, and fast—among which include:
- Take-off V-speeds and the real physics of takeoff performance
- Handling runway contamination
- Cruise speed and fuel control in turbine aircraft
- High altitude flight dynamics
- The dangers of high altitude physiology
- Managing icing conditions and the inadequacy of the regs in making real-world decisions about those conditions
- Surviving emergencies such as rapid decompression and in-flight fire
This third edition contains the latest cockpit and airport procedures as well as recent advancements in communications and navigation equipment. FITS (FAA/Industry Training Standards) are also now included, and information has been added to prepare pilots for today’s state-of-the-art “TAA” (technically-advanced aircraft) and VLJs (very-light jets).
John Lowery's Professional Pilot is filled with points to remember so pilots can take away operational rules-of-thumb and immediately apply them to their daily flying. This insider's look into the mind and cockpit of an accomplished aviator is an invaluable resource for pilots wanting to achieve the next level of aeronautical mastery.