Learning to Fly Helicopters, Second Edition - by R. Randall Padfield
A comprehensive guide to helicopter flying and flight training for aspiring private or professional helicopter pilots--updated for the first time in 20 years!
Extensively revised to cover the latest industry advances, Learning to Fly Helicopters, Second Edition, provides details on the technical and practical aspects of rotarywing flight, guiding you from preflight preparation through postflight procedures and everything in between. Written in a conversational style, the book demystifies the art and science of helicopter flying. Real-world advice from the author and other pilots is included throughout.
This copiously illustrated, up-to-date edition features new information on glass cockpits, turbine engines, IFR flying, the latest FAA test standards for a private helicopter pilot certificate, emergency and safety procedures, how to choose a flight school, career opportunities, and more. Become a private or professional helicopter pilot with help from this trusted resource!
Learning to Fly Helicopters, Second Edition, covers:
- Five myths about helicopters
- Basic aerodynamics
- Flight controls
- Your first flight
- Basic flight maneuvers
- Learning to hover
- Advanced maneuvers--with new material on hoisting, sling loads, and offshore operations
- Hazards of low-level flying
- Flight training tips--civil and military
- Aircraft systems--with new information on glass cockpits and turbine engines
- Private pilot practical test standards for helicopter pilots
- The Ten Commandments for helicopter pilots
- Weight and balance, passenger briefings, and hand signals
- Employment opportunities
- Human factors and safety
- A flight to remember--lessons learned from the author's most stressful flight
- Born-again copilots--when experienced captains fly the left seat
- Resources for helicopter pilots
- Data on and photos of common civil helicopters
- There but for the grace of God--real hangar stories as told by real pilots
You may also like...
Ultimate Pilot's Operating Handbook Robinson R44 - by Bastian Liebermann
CASA CPL Helicopter Bell 206L-1 Longranger II Performance and Operating Handbook